Wednesday, January 18

I knew this wouldn't take long

In the days following his MLK day speech, Uncle Tom Nagin, our wonderful mayor has been the butt of jokes nation wide. I don't see how, but some people may have missed the story. Here is the actual transcript of what Nagin said that has caused such a ruckus:
Dr. King, if he was here today, he would be talking to us about this problem, about the problem we have among ourselves. And as we think about rebuilding New Orleans, surely God is mad at America, he's sending hurricane after hurricane after hurricane and it's destroying and putting stress on this country. Surely he's not approving of us being in Iraq under false pretense. But surely he's upset at black America, also. We're not taking care of ourselves. We're not taking care of our women. And we're not taking care of our children when you have a community where 70 percent of its children are being born to one parent.
We ask black people: it's time. It's time for us to come together. It's time for us to rebuild a New Orleans, the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans. And I don't care what people are saying Uptown or wherever they are. This city will be chocolate at the end of the day.
This city will be a majority African-American city. It's the way God wants it to be. You can't have New Orleans no other way; it wouldn't be New Orleans. So before I get into too much more trouble, I'm just going to tell you in my closing conversation with Dr. King, he said, "I never worried about the good people -- or the bad people I should say -- who were doing all the violence during civil rights time.'' He said, "I worried about the good folks that didn't say anything or didn't do anything when they knew what they had to do.''

Personally I was appalled by his comments, appalled and angry. What are the five stages of grief? I am going to skip bargaining and acceptance and concentrate on anger and depression. How is our city to re-build with that man in office. I'm sure there will be a demand for his resignation from various groups and I would definately support such a notion. What is the Mayors role anyway? We are a federally occupied territory at this point and the Mayor hasn't enacted any laws. I have no idea if there is any way for New Orleans to recall an elected official, but at the very least we could all chip in and get Nagin a cat scan.

With the firestorm brewing, Nagin issued the following:

"I need to be more aware and sensitive of what I'm saying," the mayor said. "Anyone I've offended, I hope you forgive me."

Nice apology Uncle Tom.

In comments later Nagin tried to explain further by saying that you make a chocolate drink with a lot of chocolate and a little white milk. Perhaps he's going to make Mai Tai Mojitos later to accomadate the hispanic and asian communities that were and will again be a part of our city.
I would like to take this time to issue a public apology to all my readers, both here in New Orleans and around the country, for being a part of electing this idiotic man. I will admit that I voted for Nagin. 90% of white New Orleans voted for him. only 50% of black New Orleans. The majority of the city that has returned thus far is non-chocolate (with a lot of caramel as well.) It has been suggested that Nagin was trying to assure everyone who lived here prior to the hurricane that they could and should come back. I say no, not everyone is welcome back. If you are returning to New Orleans to live and work and be a part of the re-structuring of the city, then please, do come home. If the plan is to return to a life on the dole and living off the graces of others, then no, you're not welcome here. A federal judge has now foreced the city to have elections by April 29th, a mere month after Mardi Gras. There are a few candidates out there and I can assure you I will do anything I can to prevent another Nagin term.

4 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to really support the guy. but he's totally lost it. i think he needs to go back to running cox cable.

 
At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean he wasn't talking about the Southern Candy Company near the French Market? I heard his speech and ran over to get dark chocolate tortues for nothing! I protested by eating the candy while I watched the speech for the 400th time on the news.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger P@rick said...

Lawrence for Mayor!

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Lucy's loyal sidekick said...

I blame the Times-Picayune. Without the TP's two front-page editorials endorsing him, he would have never even had a chance... from 12th to 5th to 2nd to 1st, yes indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home