Sunday, July 4

Before I forget....

My vacation agenda was intended to be quite simple. Drive to Indiana, spend time with family and then travel northward to Michigan to camp at the gay campground. I would then have a few more days to go to Ohio (Kings Island!) Since I am a nighttime worker it made perfect sense for me to drive through the night and be able to nap when I arrived, thus slowly working into a more daytime awake/nighttime sleep mode. The drive from New Orleans to Indiana is a pretty dull one, especially at night. The one thing I look forward to is the overwhelmingly good country music stations across the south and hilarious call in talk shows. Somewhere between Meridian, MS and Huntsville, AL I managed to only get one good country station and no really good talk shows. I suppose that it was late Saturday night going into Sunday morning that it made sense that there was a religious tone to most of the shows. I find that boring so I stayed with my redneck music. The closer (coming and going) that I got to Birmingham I was taken in by a advertising blitzkrieg that would make any focus group run and hide. There were really only two commercials on this station but both of them were run somewhere in the range of EVERY 2 to 7 minutes. The first one, for the "Alabama Deer Hunters Expo", urged you to enter YOUR stuffed deer in the "Recognition Program," OR, OR, as the commercial states, "Gaze for hours at the taxidermy Display." I thought this was pretty horrifying, not being a hunter or a fan of dead things hanging on walls (shut up, I eat cows and wear leather shoes, I get the hypocrisy). How was I to know that the worst was yet to come. Rusters Western Wear was also advertising under the auspice that "You need to look good to go see Shania Twain in concert!" Rusters even took it a step further and offered 20% off if you brought in your ticket or 10% just for mentioning the ad. It wasn't immediately clear if you got a total of 30 for both supplying a ticket and mentioning the ad.

I shall add more later, but I do need a nap...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home