Tuesday, November 22

Singing Sad Songs in a Big Old Barn...

In March of 2005 I flew up to Indianapolis from New Orleans for a quick visit. Specifically I was coming to see the Elton John concert. My friend Jason had purchased tickets and wanted me to go with him to the show. He had a free flight on Southwest, so I took it and flew up for the show. Two days before I left, Elton cancelled due to illness. I already had the time off and the ticket so I came up to Indy anyway. While I was here Jason said, "So you're going to come back in November when he has re-scheduled the concert, right?" and I said "No, I think one trip for a concert is enough, you can find someone else to fill my spot in November." Famous Last Words.

Here I am, in November, in Indiana. The concert was last Saturday night and it would also be the first time I would see the inside of Conseco Fieldhouse, the arena where the concert took place. This is Conseco Fieldhouse below. Doesn't this building look like a big brick barn? In addition to this the city is building another one for the football team that looks similar to this. The farming reputation of Indiana is proudly represented as it seems we can't get an architect who knows how to build anything other than a pole barn. Oh and the new one for the football team is going to have a retractable roof. Yes a retractable roof despite the fact that the majority of the football season is played in the late fall and early winter.


The company Jason works for owns half of a suite so we were seated quite comfortably in a space about the size of my old studio apartment next to the pub. It was quite nice and we ordered up a bottle of Crown (which we pretty much split between us.) Elton came on and he did a few songs from his newest album, Peachtree Road. I had listened to the album so I was a little familiar with the songs but of course we were all waiting for our favorite old numbers. One of the gentlemen with us kept insisting he was going to sing "Mona Lisa and Mad Hatters" but I knew that was not to be. He did sing most of the "oldies" and though his voice isn't as strong as it once was, it was still a great show and besides, he did sing "Daniel," my favorite Elton song. I am also partial to "Club at the end of the street" and "A word in Spanish" from the Reg Strikes Back album but he rarely plays those.

After the show Jason and I took his straight co-workers and wives to OP's and then to Talbott. They didn't last long and Jason and I had the rest of the night to drink and dance away. I just wish the river wasn't such a long walk here in Indy.

Sunday afternoon I went to the movies with my mother, sister and Jason again. We went to see "Walk the line" the autobiographical Johnny Cash film. I hadn't had high hopes for it's stars, Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, but I was surprised and impressed by both of them. The film is good, though it touches mostly on Johnny's early life and ends abruptly at the point where he married June Carter. Joaquin and Reese both sang their own parts and both were adequate singers. Reese Witherspoon was an excellent June, but I think she played her a little bit smarter than June actually was. Tyler Hilton played the young Elvis and his small part was done very well. Waylon Payne as Jerry Lee Lewis was a hoot. My mother was telling us that she had seen both Jerry Lee and Johnny Cash in the sixties and that Waylon Paynes impersonation was right on to how he really played to a crowd.

In other news, my doggies are back living in New Orleans! They came home last Friday and according to Jeff they are quite adjusted to being home already. I can't wait to see them and it's just a little over a month until I am back living in NO full time.

Before I part I want to wish all my fellow evacuees who are living in Houston a very happy Thanksgiving, and enjoy the Bayou Classic!

There is an entry coming up about my sister buying a car, but I don't have the strength today.

Ciao for now!

4 Comments:

At 11:05 PM, Blogger Lucy's loyal sidekick said...

Conseco Fieldhouse is known world-wide as the finest basketball facility to ever have been built. It's an Indy treasure.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger YankeeNexile said...

It's a nice facility inside but let's face it, it's a barn...but hey, if you insist on calling it a treasure, then let's bury the damned thing and let people dig it up in a hundred years...

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Lucy's loyal sidekick said...

It is a building that is unique in today's sports society because the extra effort was made to make it that way. In other words, if you have a religion, you must build the appropriate cathedral.

In Indiana, basketball is religion. Conseco Fieldhouse is the cathedral. That's what makes the home of the Indiana Pacers and Indiana Fever unique.

ok i got that from the conseco site but that's what i would have said too.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Lucy's loyal sidekick said...

I've heard that. My boss out here went to see Tina Turner (yes, Tina Turner) and it was so awful he wrote a letter to the indy star... and the published it... and that's when he came out of the closet pretty much. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home