Thursday, July 8

The continuing trials of a Mid-Western vacation...

I had made my way through the Birmingham area when I stopped in a little town named Warrior Alabama. This was a big gas/food/beer stop and they were gearing up for the Fourth of July weekend by stocking up on beer. Since I am not a big beer drinker I have missed the recent ruckus thrown up about Miller Lite products. I still don't really know the whole story but from what I gather, controlling interest of Miller Lite was bought by South African Breweries. Budweiser (made by the St. Louis based Bush breweries) has responded in a series of ads depicting their competition as "non-American". Nowhere was this so true as in Warrior Alabama. There was a huge sign by the Budweiser display reading "Hello Miller Lite, you must be an American to be a candidate for 'The President of Beers' ". Given that this gas/food/beer station also had a cold beer area (in fact a whole other cavernous room) that was named "The Beer Cave," I think these people take their beer pretty seriously.

Also of interest at this hour on the radio news was about a couple (I think from California) who have named their child ESPN. This is presumably pronounced espen.  Why are gays still being blamed for causing the destruction of American values.

As I traveled northward through Tennessee and then Kentucky, my country music choices became more varied and enjoyable. I did however encounter yet another god based country song that sent me over the edge. Joe Nichols "Nobody Believed in You," a heartfelt questioning song about the lack of faith in today's society. Blech. I was also treated to a new song, "Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy" which was a lot more fun. When I approached Nashville I was thrilled to hear a phrase I hadn't heard in a while "Kentuckiana," a word used to describe both Northern Kentucky and Southern Indiana. I knew I was close to my childhood home and then I crossed the great Ohio River which serves also as the border between the bluegrass state and being "Back Home Again in Indiana."  I was still hell bent on my country music, having heard the top 40 count-down on at least three different stations. None of them were running at the same pace however so I was stuck for a while re-listening to the mid-teen spots. Toby Keiths "Whiskey Girl," was one of those songs and it is particularly annoying. Near Seymour Indiana I got my first taste of my hometown station, WFMS, Indiana's home of country music. Shortly thereafter I stopped at a rest stop    for a quick bathroom break. (For those that need correction on that last link, no I did not get lucky at a rest-stop, nor have I ever, nor would I ever, okay...) When I saw the large collection of Sunday church going obese people, I knew for sure I was back in Indiana.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home