Thursday, May 12

Sleep, Classics, Class and oh yeah, Booze.

2 am on Thursday morning and it's nearing time for me to go back to sleep. I slept last night at the Jakesters house, both of us exhausted. We went to bed (to sleep you dirty minded boys and girls out there) at midnight and didn't wake up until 2 this afternoon. I cat-napped around 6 or so last night for a while and pretty soon I think I'll hit the hay again, resting up for the next round of work and binge of partying. The last few weeks have been particularly busy with the party scene. My friend Jason from Indy came for a quick visit, celebrating passing the very tough Indiana bar exam. Jason gave me a great new slogan, I should have this cross stitched into a pillow or something. Perhaps I could print it on the napkins I use for people drinks at the bar. It's a phrase we should all know, "If you're gonna live in ignorance, you might as well get comfortable." Priceless. Jas and I had a great time, but I got no rest at all. He and I are planning to go on a cruise later this year, I should start preparing now by only sleeping three hours a night. Jeff's parents came for a Sunday afternoon visit. We went to see the show Jeff is currently music directing, "Oh Coward," at Le Petit. The show was good and he has a break now for a few weeks at least before the next project. Matties visit was the big kicker though. I had a couple days break in between the two visits but they were filled with drama that I could have done very much without. Once that was put to bed I was ready for Matt's first visit home from his December move to San Diego. I think the earliest we ever got in was 3:30 a.m. the morning before his flight was supposed to leave at 9. Most of the days it was somewhere between 8:30 and 10:30 before we managed to wander home. One morning we almost got the chance to relive our dramatic bourbon street fighting techniques when a rather buck-toothed boy wanted to fight with us. Hopefully this time he would have lost the tooth instead of Mattie.

(For those that don't know this story, let me give you cliff notes: July Fourth Weekend 2 years ago, me trying to help a straight boy find his hotel, purely innocently, when straight boy decides he's going to get into a fight with a black boy at 5 am. Black boy beats him down and then sucker punches me when I am trying to help straight boy up from the ground. Mattie, who happened to be passing, jumps in the fray and we proceed to beat the hell out of the black boy. Keep in mind, this is Essence fest weekend and I am wearing a boy scout uniform. Hilarity Ensued. Mattie broke his elbow and lost a tooth, I managed merely to sprain a finger. Whatever happened to the black boy is a mystery, we both ran when the red lights started and as for what happened to the straight boy, well that's up to Mattie to tell.)

Highlights included the new mantra: "it's classic, but not classy" I'm not even sure now what this was in reference too, but it's one of those things that takes on a life of it's own. There are other highlights, mostly stemming from various alphabetical letters and some of the time we even played Wordster. (Cryptic Caution Intended)

I got Mattie off to the airport Tuesday afternoon and then it was off to Jakes house to help celebrate his birthday. He and his friends had gone out the night before and really tied one on. Several of them, no doubt with Jake the ring leader, decided to jump in Lake Ponchatrain. Now this isn't a good idea sober in the daytime due to the massive pollutants but drunk at night it was not a bright move. Jake has deep cuts on his feet from the sharp rocks, oysters, whatever they might be and cuts on his back from where they were rolling around on the levy. I can't really criticize or tsk tsk them though. Wasn't it me that decided playing tennis with no coat on the day after Christmas break my senior year was a good idea? I probably thought so, but those several days I spent in the hospital with pneumonia weren't that fun. Wasn't it me that once pulled up some weeds around the back porch of some friends house only to discover we had unearthed a huge colony of biting little ants. Of course, drunk as we were, we decided that we had to get rid of them so we poured hairspray over the entire area and lit it on fire....Which wouldn't have been that big of a deal had the flames not caught the dry Indiana summer wood and created a bigger mess. We all took off our shirts to beat out the flames and after it was all over there were little dead burnt ants on all our clothes. Maybe drunk swimming in a polluted lake is pretty smart after all. Anyway, Jake and I didn't do much, we went to his mothers house with some friends of his so he could see her. She was very nice and had cake and ice cream set up for the boys. Jakes twin brother Josh was there too so we sang happy birthday twice, once for each of them. We went home, his friends left and we went hung out, watched a little bit of a movie. He fell asleep so I moved us to his bed and we slept like The Van Winkles.

I have written a ton here so I should close. Before I do though I have to tell you, I was looking for something to watch tonight and decided to watch "Showgirls." Okay, I own the DVD. Okay, I own the box set but that's not the point. I hadn't watched this movie in quite some time. It's truly a classic, but not classy and one of the worst movies ever made. Of course when I saw it the first time I didn't watch "Saved by the Bell" every morning, a habit that will have to stop. I can't look at Elizabeth Berkley ever again without thinking of Nomi Malone. Seriously though, can anyone else believe that her career stumbled after that movie, I mean really... She was soooo good. Those that have seen me roll their eyes should insert their memory of that look here. The rest of you get the idea. Alright, I'm off to bed, Ciao for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home