Wednesday, April 26

Karl Rove Taught Us Nothing

Imagine my shock and surprise when the election results began being tallied and announced. Out of the 23 candidates for Mayor of New Orleans it was clearly down to a choice between Ron Forman and Mitch Landrieu. I wanted to vote for Forman but several things changed my mind. Mattie clued me into some things I didn't really know about him, things like his salary as the head of the non profit Audubon society. He was also deeply involved with the attempt to by pass laws preventing former Mayor Morial from running for a third term. Morial subsequently (allegedly) raided the city's treasury in the last days of his administration. I guess once your father (allegedly) passed himself off as white while serving in the navy and later dies (allegedly) in the arms of a white hooker while shooting heroin, raiding a treasury isn't that big of a deal. Anyway...

There have been elections where I have voted my consience. There have been elections where I have voted the lesser of two evils. In Indiana I registered as a republican so I could vote in primary elections against evil candidates. In this election my desire to vote for Ron Forman was mostly overweighed by the fact that I didn't feel he could get the necessary votes to avoid the always amusing run off election. If you are unfamiliar with Louisiana politics, unless a candidate receives more than 50% of the vote we have a second election with the top two candidates. I wasn't shocked to see that we would be having a run off, but I was certainly surprised by the numbers. Uncle Tom Nagin managed to snare 38% of the vote while Mitch Landrieu only garnered 29%. There are a lot of reasons I can think of that made that possible but it's still shocking.

Busloads of people were brought from Atlanta and Houston, most of them black, most of them voting for Nagin. Nagin was the only "real" black candidate, but he received less than 50% of the black vote during his first election while receiving 90% of the white vote. This election the white column for Nagin was 6%. Most of the people who were bussed in to vote are living in other cities with no intention of returning to New Orleans. National black advocacy groups and black business leaders are all pushing for Nagins re-election to maintain control of the city. These are the same people who screamed racism in the days after the hurricane. Time has passed and we see it was the poorest people who suffered the most, and the race division was not the issue. There were 20,000 votes cast before the election, absentee ballots, early voting, even faxes were sent. The candidate to receive the majority of these votes was Nagin. My negative side says that there was a lot of cemetery voting. Wasn't it Chicago Mayor Daly who said "vote early and vote often"? Jesse Jackson had to butt his nose into the election and claim that blacks were being disenfranchised by the refusal of the state to bear the cost of setting up polling places in Houston and Atlanta. This is very simple. The state sent out to EVERY registered voter an application for an absentee ballot. If these poor poor people are totally unreachable, I guess there isn't anyplace for them to receive their FEMA check. Since we know the 26 months of rental assistance is flowing like water, we can assume that people also received their application. Another thing, voting is a right, and if you want to exercise your rights, you have to EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS. In this case that means finding a stamp and a pen. I didn't see the good Reverand Jackson bitching about the number of white folks from Lakeview or the extremely large east New Orleans Asian populations lack of proper voting booths.

Since I am already out here on the racist swine limb, I have to applaud U.S. Housing Secretary Alphonso Jackson for his recent comments about the return of public housing residents.

I understand people not wanting to vote for another Landrieu, supporting the continuance of another family political dynasty. All I wanted out of this election was to see an end to the lunacy of the Nagin administration. Hopefully the numbers were frighting enough to the rest of the city's voting block to get them out on the 20th to vote. Ron Forman has officially endorsed Landrieu now and the majority of New Orleans business community seems to be leaning towards Mitch.

The election does sadly bring to an end the campaigns of Virginia Boulet and Peggy Wilson. Both women were amusing but for different reasons. Peggy was at one time a normal woman from all accounts. Her campaign platform centered on the idea that she was going to convince the federal government to make our city a tax free zone. I'm no exactly sure how this was going to happen or how this was going to work. Virginia had some decent platform plans but lost me when she announced her intentions to literally tear down city hall and move University of New Orleans to the site. Then she was going to spread this educational district through a wide swath of the edge of downtown and a public housing unit or two. Throw in Sondra "lady" DeDais and gay candidate Leo Watermeir and we had a whole nuthouse.

I have more to write about but for now I need some rest...

2 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger Lucy's loyal sidekick said...

"once your father (allegedly) passed himself off as white while serving in the navy and later dies (allegedly) in the arms of a white hooker while shooting heroin, raiding a treasury isn't that big of a deal."

LOVE that sentence.

I got a voter guide, btw, even though I moved in December 2004. Thought about it, but decided to heed the warning that only those kicked out by Katrina, not Ketamine as in my case, could vote absentee...

 
At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say that I nearly fell out of my tree when I read this. You should be blogging professionally, or a contributing writer to the Times-Picayune. It was very poignant and I liked it better than most of the stuff I've seen on television lately. It did, though, remind me somewhat of an episode of designing women where Julia ends up on the evening news in a "citizen's minute" (we dont do things like that once Reagan/Bush left office), and ends up running for the City Board of Commissionersl; by the end of the episode she's literally on her feet screaming for the right to be a White, Christian, Liberal. I saved it on the Tivo. hehehe.

Anyway, you point out exactly what we were just discussing in a roundtable at UNO about the Mayorial Election and the 2006 Generals. Now, we can bank that racial lines will divide us. Whites for Mitch, Blacks for Nagan, but since their is no real accurate picture of the statistical makeup of the city, who EXACTLY voted, and WHO will vote in the runoff. it's difficult to say who will turn up on election day. You say, really well actually, that voting is a right, and I personally think it's one we DO have to spend time excercising. Just as we should thoughtfully nourish our bodies, and thoughtfully learn from our experiences, so should we educate ourselves on the actions of our governments, and then take decisive action accordingly. If voting means so much to certain individuals, perhaps they should be filing the legal complaints along with the tv-personalities. This recent pile of crap coming from elitist blacks on the need for better means of voting is tanamount to promoting compulsory voting (which I am against) . Rather than telling these people simply to find out the issues, and seek whatever means neccesary to vote, because voting is WORTH IT, they advocate making it so easy that every idiot is encouraged to go to polls even if he has nothing on or IN his mind to vote about.

But on the election, it seems to me, that if Nagan didn't win fullout the first time, that businesses (as you pointedly note with Forman's camp) will step to Mitch, and rightly so given the recent and previous actions of the Nagan cronies. But, no one seems to be pointing out one key point about Mitch that looks good to business, and would look good to most New Orleanians if they new more about politics in practice, rather than politics of perception. Politiking is about access: Who knows what, and who can get an idea into the biggest heads. For Mitch; he's got Mary's ear (for whatever that's worth), and the Governor's (for whatever that's worth), and most of the whites, uppermiddle-and-aboves, and socially progressive people. To me, that's a recipe for SOME SORT of change. Change is better than none, and I think Nagan is OK as far as the polluted stream of Black Candidates for mayor goes, BUT, I do think Mitch is the clear winner here.

And I too, like Mattie, love the allegedlys. It's very Kathy Griffin of you, allegedly.

It was nice reading your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home