Wednesday, August 25

Dinner at the Ritz Carlton, sort of....Dedicated to Crazy

So let me tell you about Crazy. Crazy is a boy whose real name is Chris but whom I have referred to as Crazy since the day I met him. He came to New Orleans from Key West and when I met him he was a bartender at Good Friends. Like so many before him, his career there was short lived. Soon after he went to work for VooDoo as security but after a few days they parted company. This week he was to start work as a delivery boy for Verti Mart at night. He was at my bar before work and I bought him a drink and a shot. Crazy is a riot, very funny, erratic, bizarre at times, incoherent at others, but I think a very decent person underneith all the layers of oddity. He really is crazy though, of that I am also quite sure. So Crazy goes off to work but keeps popping back up every little while, sweating and complaining about how rude people are and how much he hates this job already and wants to quit. At one point he loses the key to his bicycle lock but it was quickly found on the floor of the bar. Knowing of my love for Cheez-its, he offers to bring me some but then tells me that Verti Mart doesn't carry them and is there anything else I would like. I ask for mozzarella sticks and marinara (an even more guilty pleasure than cheez-its.) On his next run through he tells me they don't have mozzarella sticks either but he is determined to bring me "something." He swears he's not going to make it through the night and leaves in a huff. He came back pretty soon after, clutching a plastic wrapped styrofoam container and says "I brought you something, I'm not sure what it is though" and begins to unwrap the food. It turns out to be fried shrimp and fries, and he and I begin to munch on it, along with Mattie P. and Duane. While we're eating he says, "Do you have the number for the Ritz-Carlton, somebody needs to call and tell this guy his dinner isn't coming." I didn't know what he meant exactly, but it seems he paid for the guys dinner in advance, cashed himself out at work and took off, essentially quitting. He made it 11 total hours over 2 days, not a new record for Verti Mart, but probably close. God Bless Crazy, he's messy but he keeps me in stitches....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home